1 medium head of broccoli (about 3 cups), cut into very small florets
½ cup basil leaves, firmly packed
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
1 clove of garlic
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 teaspoon + fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus little extra for cooking broccoli
Cook the broccoli florets in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt and water until just starting to soften. (You can also boil it for around 15 seconds in a pot of salted water but you do lose some of the nutrients this way).
Puree the broccoli in a food processor along with the walnuts, basil, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Drizzle in the olive oil while still blending. Taste, adjust with more salt or lemon juice if needed.
Inspiration for using your pesto:
• Stirred through wholegrain pasta or grains
• Thinned out to make a salad dressing
• Swirled into yummy homemade soups
• Stirred into yoghurt or fresh soft cheeses.
• As a dip served with fresh vegetable sticks or GMO-free corn chips.
• Tossed through roasted root vegetables or as a topping for baked sweet potatoes.